Resident Assistants (RAs) are the GReAtest! (students that work for Residence Life)
– Train twelve’s hours a day for a week or more during the summer
– Spend all day moving in their residents
– Live with their co-workers and customers (residents)
– Handle more paperwork than most secretaries
– Serve on-call, confronting just about any student or building issue
– Counsels the homesick, confused, abused, and I-just-need-someone-to-talk-to kind of students
– Write up the drunk student and befriend them at the same time by inviting them to a program
– Teach all sorts of life skills
– Make the building pretty with bulletin boards and door tags
– Have lots of meetings, some at odd hours of the night
All this while getting a degree and trying to balance that thing we call, “life.”
Q: I mean, who does this?
A: RAs—I can’t think of another job so unique, intrusive, yet incredibly rewarding. RAs are some of the greatest people I know.